Monday, October 13, 2008

Here Goes Nothing....


Okay well this is officially my first Blogger post... and for the most part my first actually blog posting. Well that isn't entirely true. I do have a blog on myspace that you can check out sometime. Would it be cheating if I posted my *thoughts* from there to here?!?! What a good idea... Nah I won't cheat. I'll do this the tough way. Enough ridiculous rambling. Lets cut to the chase....

So I decide to start blogging after my Aunt suggested it as a way to help introduce myself in the craft world. Now I'm a member of some great groups... Cafemom Etsy Moms is a WONDERFUL one. *Feel free to search for us (CEM or cafemom on etsy.com) to find some FABULOUS handmade items. * As great as being part of a group is, I figured it couldn't hurt to put myself out there and just see what happens :) So here I am.

I guess I should start with a bit about myself (those of you who already know me... can skip down I won't be offended). I just turned 25 last month and I have a really beautiful daughter named Hannah. She is 5 going on 15. And she is by FAR the very best kid in the entire world. I'm sure I am creating a monster as I tell her this each day. But I haven't seen her head swelling yet... so maybe she'll turn out okay. I'm not working right now although I do have my teaching liceanse. I graduated in May and at the time I was feeling extremely overwhelmed. I knew that if I entered the classroom right away, things would get ugly for me very quickly. So I made the decision to take a year off. It was a long needed break... getting through college took me 6 years. During that 6 years I worked part time in addition to taking classes, gave birth to a child, raised said child, took care of my dying grandmother,Norma, lost my other grandmother (Irene) to a sudden heartattack, followed by losing Norma 6 months later after watching her suffer for 6 weeks in the hospital. I went through trying to end a torturous relationship (the guy wasn't that bad... he was just that BAD for me), started a new one which lasted 2 years and ended badly as well. I'm in a new relationship and have been for nearly 10 months... well see how that one comes out. So anyways... before all that I was... oh right I needed a break. So that brings us up to where I am now :)

Last year when I was doing my student teaching in a kindergarten class, there was one little girl who would wear the most adorable hair bows (See her moms store here)!!! So that is what really piqued my interest. I bought a set of instructions off of ebay and did a little online research. With quite a bit of practice I started cranking out some hair bows!!! I was soooo excited so imagine my disappointed when my then 4yr old looks at me like I have lost my mind when I try to put one in her hair. "I'm not wearing that," she says. To which I reply, "Ohhhhhh yes you are. You are going to wear it and like it or else!" I really wasn't to surprised when she got home from preschool that day announcing the bow's untimely *in my opinion at least* death. Well it would have survived under normal circumstances. When it comes to bows, my daughter turns into a pink version of the Incredible Hulk and destroys any frill in sight. SOOOO no bows for my Hannah (even to this day... I have to pay her $1.00 every time she models). But I wasn't going to give up that easily! I had invested time and money in this venture and I wasn't giving up without a fight. So I grouped lots together and put them on ebay... gave them as birthday and Christmas presents and basically to anyone else who would let me shove one in their hands.

A couple of months ago, my Aunt tells my Mom about this awesome website, www.etsy.com so we go to the computer and check it out. It didn't take long for the both of us to get excited... I made an account and started listing items right away. But other than a friend of mine making a purchase, nothing happened :( It was so sad. I felt all alone in the world, no friends, no customers (is the sympathy thing working yet? If so... Tara's TieUps if not keep reading). I felt like a BIG OL LOSER!!!!!! *sobs* Okay. Enough of that... so I joined CafeMom and then several crafting groups. I've been putting up my pictures like crazy and joining in the conversations as much as I can. So far, so good. I got my first custom order last week... THAT was FUN.... and I had another purchase over the weekend. So regardless of whether the posting is working or not, I made a couple of sells. Pretty cool in my book :)

0 comments:

Search This Blog